Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Birth Story

Well, here is the long awaited birth story.

Went into the hospital on 9/26 at about 8pm for induction. I was still completely closed but about 80% effaced. Had cytotec placed every 4 hours, for 3 doses. After the 3rd dose, I was dilated about 1.5 cm and my OB broke my water.

I had been having contractions all night, not bad, but progressively getting stronger. After he broke my water, the contractions got stronger. Around 10:30 or so I felt I needed something. Still not significantly dilated (pitocin was started around 9).

So, we first went with demerol and phenergan. Ugh. Mostly all it did was make me sleepy. I would fall asleep between contractions and when they hit, WHAM. Got an intrathecal (that is fentanyl and morphine given as a spinal). It worked for about 2 hours (now it's around 1:30 or so. The contractions were still there and I was then about 5cm dilated.

Called the anesthetist back and he placed a second intrathecal around 2:15 or so. Did not help a bit. Contractions were strong! I wasn't sure I was going to be able to take it. Finally around 3 or so I told C to go get the nurses because I had to PUSH. They came in and I was completely dilated.

Started pushing shortly after the OB checked me and pushed for a bit over an hour. S began having decelerations near the end, so they placed a vacuum, but I was able to push him out at 4:47 pm.

I was surprised I was able to do as well as I did, to be honest. My OB (who is a friend of mine) told me later that he was sure I was going to need a c-section. Luckily I proved him wrong.

4 comments:

Sunny Jenny said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've made it!

NatD said...

I'm so glad you were able to give birth, but sorry you were in so much pain!

It's all worth it in the end though, isn't it?

Kate said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. Sorry for all the pain but it's worth it. Enjoy.

Teendoc said...

So sorry that I'm late to offer my congratulations. How wonderful for you!